Here at Hansen Orthodontics, we are dedicated to patient care, especially in the case of an emergency.
Orthodontic emergencies may be rare, but we are ready and willing to help you whenever you are having trouble with your braces. Any time you have pain, whether it is a painful tooth or appliance, it is important to contact us.
Many problems can be solved simply at home, though we always have appointments if you need help. You can do a few things at home to ensure that we will be able to fix your braces right away.
- If a wire falls off, place it in a bag until you are able to come to our office.
- If something is irritating your gums, place soft wax on any part of your braces that is sticking out.
- If the wire has moved, you may be able to move it back with needle-nosed pliers.
Whether you can fix the problem or not, it is very important to let us know what is happening. We may need to take a look at your braces to see if we need to do any repair work on them so that they will continue to work as it should.
Here are some tips that may be helpful:
- You may also want to rinse your mouth with a warm, saltwater mouthwash. You can dissolve one teaspoonful of salt in eight ounces of warm water and use the mixture to rinse your mouth out. You can also use the Healthy Gums Rinse by The Natural Dentist.
- Many people like to use Orabase on their sore gums to help with the discomfort. This product is available at the pharmacy. You may also use over-the-counter medications like acetaminophen (Tylenol). It is not helpful to take aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin and Advil), or naproxen sodium (Aleve, Naprosyn, Anaprox) because they slow the movement of the teeth.
- You should use wax to address the irritation caused by your new braces so that your mouth can get used to the feeling of them.
- If you are not wearing your headgear the way you should be, you may have some discomfort. It is important to wear your headgear as often as requested so that you will get the results you deserve. You will get used to wearing it, and it will stop causing you discomfort the more you wear it.
- If you are having a lot of discomfort, make sure that your facebow (the metal piece) is not bent. If it is, we can help you straighten it out so it is more comfortable.
- Any time that you have a loose appliance, apply wax on it so that it won’t cause you discomfort until we are able to fix it.
- If you have a loose bracket, it is important that you leave it in place the best that you can. You can put wax on it so that it doesn’t irritate your gums until you are able to be seen. If it comes off, put it in a bag or envelope so that you can bring it with you to your next visit.
- If you have a loose wire, you might be able to use tweezers or needle-nosed pliers to try to put the wire back into place. If needed, you can use floss to tie the wire into place until you are able to come into our office.
- If you can’t get it to stay and it is really causing you problems, you can clip it off with a fingernail clipper. Place wax over the end to protect your mouth. This should be used only as a last resort since it will require us to make significant repairs to your braces when you come into our office.
- If you have a wire poking you, you can push it down with a pencil eraser or use wax until you can be seen.
If you have any problems with your braces, don’t hesitate to contact us today at (316) 722-6717.